You Can Get Paid to Travel the World Just Like Me!
Picking a Niche
Ready to get started? Great! The next step is to pick your niche, or what your money-making blog will be about. There are so many options for you, and I would recommend being really genuine to your passion. What do you love doing in your spare time? What gets you fired up about life?! For me, I love traveling and personal growth, and that’s what I have made my blog about! But remember, you can blog about anything!
Below are just some of the many options you can choose. And don’t feel like you have to choose only one topic! If you love travel and fitness, or music and clothing, you can absolutely set up a blog about more than one topic. Here are some options:
As you can see, there are so many options for you. I focus on travel and personal growth.
Now let’s move on to your next step: understanding the key terms.
Key Terms: Domain, Hosting & More
To set up your money-making website let’s review the key terms:
- This will be your website address. Feel free to be creative and have fun with your domain, but I would recommend making it relevant to your passion, so visitors know what to expect
- I would recommend avoiding dashes (“-“) between words or hard to spell words in your domain. Your domain will come free when you set up hosting using this link (more on this below)
- Hosting takes your blog and keeps it up and running online
- Hosting is what keeps your blog on the Internet
- This is the platform where you will edit and manage your blog
- I walk you through step-by-step how to set up WordPress below once you set up hosting
- A WordPress Theme
- This will be your pre-designed website layout. One of the things I love about WordPress is that there are so many great pre-designed themes that you can choose from, including many free options, so you can hit the ground running and start monetizing faster
Who Should I Use for Hosting?
While there are a few different options you can use for hosting, I find BlueHost to be the absolute go-to choice for so many great reasons. BlueHost will provide you with hosting, email addresses, and a domain in one extremely cheap and simple package. You can get the entire bundle for less than $4 per month! It is an amazing deal and the best investment that I ever made in my entire life. It is such a small price to pay to set up a life as your own boss, traveling for free, and doing what you love!
Here are even more reasons why BlueHost is the way to go for hosting:
- Easy to Use – BlueHost is extremely user-friendly for beginners and requires no technical experience at all
- Fantastic Support – They provide excellent customer service, including 24/7 support via telephone, live chat and email
- Rapid Website Speeds – Very fast website load times since they are one of the largest global hosting providers
- Strong Security – Strong security protocols will keep your website safe
- Professional Approach – You’ll be self-hosted, which is crucial for making money
- Free WordPress – By signing up with BlueHost you will also receive WordPress for free
- Best Price – The best price and a FREE domain and email address!
What About Squarespace/Wix/Weebly?
I personally use and highly recommend WordPress given its better monetization capabilities, strong Search Engine Optimization (“SEO”) features, and ease of use for those without any technical experience. For more information on this topic, you can check out our article that discusses WordPress vs. SquareSpace. But most (if not all) of the websites that I found making substantial money online used WordPress.
If you like the design of SquareSpace/Wix/Weebly sites, I have great news for you. WordPress now allows you to easily install your favorite theme which will give you that nice modern design. Given the simple user interface and popularity of WordPress, the themes have evolved so you can get all the SEO and monetization capabilities, and also a beautiful looking website.
Set Up Your Hosting
Now that you’re familiar with the key terms, let’s move on to my favorite step: setting up hosting.
Click here go to BlueHost’s site, then click “Get Started Now.” Once you set up your hosting, come back here and continue reading.
Select Your Plan
- My recommendation is to definitely start with the less expensive Basic Plan. You can always upgrade later if you want multiple websites or the other premium features. But to start, I chose the Basic Plan and recommend that you do the same, it’s most likely all you will need
- You can select the Plus or Prime options if you plan to run multiple websites or want access to other additional features, but I would recommend that you start with the Basic plan for now
- You can always upgrade to Plus or Prime later if you’d like
Register Your Free Domain Name
Don’t worry, you can change your domain at any time over the next 3 days completely free of charge. And you can always get a new domain later if you’d like.
I chose https://www.brendanhburns.com as a placeholder but wound up liking it so I kept it. If you set up your hosting by using this link you will get your domain for free! And you have 3 full days to change it for free.
Fill Out the Final Page
Fill in this final page and click Submit. For length and extras, I recommend saving money and opting for these settings:
Length – the 12-month plan should be sufficient, but go for a longer term if you want an even better monthly discount. You’ll notice that 12 months in the lowest option, but it is very important to set up hosting for at least a year. People who try to set up monthly hosting often have to pay much more per month, as well as worry about their domain expiring at the end of each month and losing traffic.
By signing up with BlueHost for at least 12 months you lock in your site for a year, and BlueHost will always get in touch with you before the year ends with the option to continue hosting your site so you never have any issues.
Extras – I don’t have any of the extra pro features and you can uncheck all of them to save money
Remember: There are no contracts and you can easily cancel your hosting at any time for 30 days and you will receive a 100% complete refund.
Once your hosting is set up, move to the next step below to set up WordPress and get ready for the fun, money-making experience to begin! To recap, you can easily set up your hosting by:
- Clicking this link and click on the “Get Started Now” button
- Select your plan
- Entering your domain (free using the above link, you can change it at any time for free over the next 3 days)
- Fill out the final page and click the green Submit button
After you set up your hosting, you will receive an email from BlueHost asking you to set your password and log in. Your password must contain an uppercase letter, lowercase letter, and a symbol. Make sure to pick something secure since this is the login information for managing your website.
Once your login information is all set, follow these simple steps to Install WordPress:
- Log into your BlueHost account and click on hosting and then cPanel
- Under Website go ahead and click on “Install WordPress”
- Click on the “Install” button at the top
- Choose the domain you’d like to install WordPress on and click Check Domain
- Click Show Advanced Options and choose your username and password for your WordPress website
- Click “Install Now”
Once WordPress is installed, you can install a theme. You can choose from many great theme options, and if you’re interested in additional information, here is a guide on how to choose and install a WordPress theme.
WordPress is the best platform for a money-making blog, and once you install WordPress using your new BlueHost account, I recommend installing some WordPress plugins for your site. If WordPress were an iPhone, the plugins are your “apps”. In other words, plugins are free, easy to download apps that you use in WordPress to make your website even better.
Some of my favorite plugins that you can download include:
- Instagram Feed
- Easily share your Instagram feed with a clean and customizable display
- Yoast SEO
- The very best and easy to use plugin to drive more traffic to your site from Google!
- Insert Headers and Footers
- Allows you to easily insert text or images into the header or footer of your site
Ready to Monetize?!
Congratulations! You have just set up your own website! Click here to start your site if you haven’t already, and then continue reading to learn how to start monetizing your site now!
How Do I Monetize My Site?
There are so many different ways to make money with your blog, but the approach to monetizing your site depends on who you are, what your website is about, and what you want to focus on. Below are my absolute favorite and most lucrative ways to monetize a blog.
Advertise on Your Website
You have many advertising options, ranging from the popular Google AdSense to sponsorships with companies, to branding deals with your favorite brands. You get to choose who you want to promote!
Below is an example of a Google AdSense advertisement on one of my pages (I added the red box to highlight it for you). AdSense is a great platform and it is extremely easy to set up. The best part is: they will automatically detect what your website is about and promote relevant ads that don’t take away from the user experience
Sell Affiliate Products
Selling affiliate products is another fantastic way to make money on your blog. This refers to selling someone else’s product on your site and receiving a percentage of each sale.
For example, I love traveling to Japan and I share articles and pictures on AdventureDaze to help my followers travel to Japan and have the best experiences as well. In my article on Tokyo, I offer my readers the ability to book discounted ticket prices to the famous Robot Show in Tokyo using the green button in the picture below. I work with travel company Voyagin to offer these to my readers: they handle all the bookings and simply pay me a % of each sale from my site! And Voyagin is just one of 1,000s of companies that offers very easy to set up affiliate programs that you can integrate into your website.
Sell Your Own Products
You can create and sell a variety of products on your blog to generate income as well. The best part of this approach is that you get to keep 100% of the sale. In affiliate sales, you are only entitled to a percentage of each sale, whereas here you get to keep everything. And you have all the flexibility of choosing exactly what you want to sell. You can sell an e-book, an online course, coaching, apparel, consulting and much more! The best part is that you get to choose what your website is all about, and you can use it to sell any kind of product that you’d like.
Use Your Website to Build Your Brand
A website is an incredible tool for building brand awareness. You can link your blog to your social media accounts such as Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook to use your website to further build brand awareness as well.
Generate Business Leads
Generating business leads using your website works extremely well for coaches, consultants, personal trainers and business owners in general. You can run your website as a stand-alone money making site where you work remotely, travel and do what you love. But you can also offer in-person goods or services, and use your blog to build an audience, spread the word and generate leads for new clients and more business.
How Much Money Can I Make?!
As I showed you above, there are so many people out there who started a blog simply to make an extra few $1,000 per month to share their passion or business, and then found themselves making 5-10 times as much as they did in their old day job! And now they are their own boss, getting paid travel, and most importantly doing what they love with their life.
These income reports are shared by people who are enjoying all the benefits of starting their own blog and sharing it as inspiration:
- Pat Flynn
- Smart Passive Income = $150,000+ per month
- Michelle Schroeder-Gardner
- Making Sense of Sense = $90,000+ per month
- Melyssa Griffin
- Melyssa Griffin = $100,000+ per month
You are now ready to start your website and begin doing what you live. Click here to start your website right now!
Here are more helpful posts so you can start making money while traveling just like me:
- How to Monetize Your Blog: The 6 Best and Easiest Income Streams
- These are my 6 absolute favorite ways to monetize my blog
- The 8 Absolute Best Ways to Drive Traffic to Your Blog!
- Here I share my favorite way to drive 1000’s of people to your blog
- WordPress vs. SquareSpace: Which Platform Should I Use?
- People often ask me why I think WordPress is the best platform
- How to Install Your WordPress Theme
- Once you’ve set up hosting you’re ready to set up your WordPress theme